Skip to main content

Finland v Northern Ireland: Dead rubber suggests stalemate is likely

Finland v Northern Ireland
Sunday October 11, 17:00 BST
Live on Sky Sports 1

Finland

Hungary's win over the Faroes and Finland's failure to defeat Romania means that the Fins can no longer qualify for Euro 2016. They will have been disappointed not to take it to the final game especially as they were leading against the Romanians going into injury time.
This is a dead rubber for them now and the players may struggle to pick themselves up from such heartbreak. Obviously they have their future to think of as they need to continue to impress incoming manager, Hans Backe, who takes over in January, but I don't envisage a highly motivated performance.

Northern Ireland

In a surprise turn of events, Northern Ireland managed to score three times in the absence of Kyle Lafferty. The 3-1 win over Greece secured their place in France 2016 and Michael O'Neill and his players have every right to smile.
A bit like Finland, it will be hard for them to get up for this match after Thursday's heroics, and while they would like to notch up another win, they don't even need to do that much to confirm themselves as winners of Group F.

Match Odds
Finland 2.28 Northern Ireland 3.85 The Draw 3.25

This is a hard one to call as a win is relatively meaningless for either team. The Irish have the edge in terms of recent form although the Fins have improved since a poor start to the group.
I have to make the draw my play here as I can see it being played at friendly pace. A point would also secure O'Neill's men first place and it would keep Finland's unbeaten run going.

Over/Under 2.5 Goals
Over 2.5 Goals 2.88 Under 2.5 Goals 1.53

A low-scoring affair is on the cards here but I wouldn't want to be getting involved at the prices. Just like what we saw at Windsor Park, anything can happen in terms of goals and while I am confident that there won't be three goals, I wouldn't want to risk my cash at 1.53.

Cash Out

One market I am happy to risk my cash in is the correct score market as I think 0-0 could offer a huge trading opportunity. As I've said, this will likely be played at a slow pace with little urgency from the 22 players.
You can back a goalless draw at around the 7.80 mark and as time ticks away, that price will just get shorter and shorter, while the cash out figure gets bigger and bigger.


Recommended Bets
Back The Draw @ 3.20